Who am I?

My photo
Jefferson, Georgia, United States
Hello everybody, I am Heather. I love yoga, food and loud rock shows. I am here to lead you on a lifestyle that will have your soul shining! P.S. Cancer Sucks!

Saturday, July 11, 2009

The Compact


42-15823055
Originally uploaded by numzfon
In the spirit of purging and simplifying my life, I am going to join a Yahoo group called the Compact.

The official description of The Compact:

Welcome to The Compact.We are a group of individuals committed to a 12-month flight from the consumer grid (calendar year 2009).
The Compact has several aims (more or less prioritized below):
To go beyond recycling in trying to counteract the negative global environmental and socioeconomic impacts of disposable consumer culture and to support local businesses, farms, etc. -- a step that, we hope, inherits the revolutionary impulse of the Mayflower Compact.
To reduce clutter and waste in our homes (as in trash Compact-er).
To simplify our lives (as in Calm-pact)
We've agreed to follow two principles (see exceptions etc. on our blog).
#1 Don't buy new products of any kind (from stores, web sites, etc.)
#2 Borrow, barter, or buy used.


Well, I am not going to kill myself and commit to 12 months, I am going to start with 6 months and see how it goes. And I don't think that this is going to have the impact of the Mayflower Compact...but I say, let people dream big, that is great...but I live in the real world here!

Speaking of the real world here are my exceptions to the rules:
Food, obviously
Shoes - I do not have an obsession with shoes, but if I neeeeeed a new pair of shoes because an old pair has worn out, then I will go get them. I will try to find a pair on ebay or something like that, but I don't think that will always be feasible.
Yoga Pants
Sports Bras
Any undies that may be needed in the next 6 months
Any Yoga Accessories I need for my Company, but I will try to find a used option first
Basically anything I can buy at the grocery store I will allow myself to purchase with the exception of books, magazines, seasonal items, decor, and holiday stuff

Let's see how this goes - especially since I am moving into a new place soon! ha!
This means no trips to Target, no Wal Mart, no Real Deals...but the payoff will be huge!

Lets decide on a reward together - your thoughts???

No comments:

Post a Comment