Who am I?

My photo
Jefferson, Georgia, United States
Hello everybody, I am Heather. I love yoga, food and loud rock shows. I am here to lead you on a lifestyle that will have your soul shining! P.S. Cancer Sucks!

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Morning Yoga


Morning Yoga
Originally uploaded by Peter Bowers
Yoga in the morning...what a delicious way to start the day. I am an admitted sleepy head in the morning, so sometimes I sleep too late and I do not have enough time to squeeze in a morning practice. On the days I do get up and leave at least 45 minutes for a well rounded practice - I feel like singing all day! Good Day Sunshine! I have more energy sans the caffeine, and I am more peaceful throughout the day.

Your morning yoga practice should be different than our evening yoga practice. In the morning I typically to do more standing poses, some sun salutations, and more back bends than I do for an evening practice. This is because back bends, standing postures and dynamic series like sun salutations tend to be more stimulating.

I follow up my asana practice with some pranayama (breathing exercises) and a short meditation...short only because I know I need to let the dogs out, get in the shower and get on with my daily routine. Evening tends to lend itself more to a longer meditation time.

Morning yoga makes the grind of a typical work day a bit more peaceful and centered, tempers do not flare as quickly, the day seems to move at a reasonable pace, and the mind is sharp.

If you practice yoga at home regularly, I recommend you try getting up a bit early and do some morning yoga. See how this practice influences the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment